Change of Status
This information is for individuals who are currently in the US on a non-immigrant visa (B1/B2, F2, H1) and wish to change their status to F1 while remaining in the US.
- Applicants must have completed their high school education and be at least 17 years of age by the start of the program. Additionally, applicants must have a basic understanding of the English language.
- A change of status is not a change of visa!
- With a change of status, you will not receive a new visa inside your passport.
- Thus, if you travel outside the US after changing status, you will be required to apply for an F1 visa in your home country or legal permanent residence abroad in order to return back to the US.
You may change your status to F1 while in the US if:
- You are maintaining your current status.
- Your period of authorized stay has not expired.
- You have not engaged in unauthorized employment while in the US.
- You have not violated the conditions of your current status or committed any crimes.
- Those who entered the US under the Visa Waiver Program (marked “W/T” or “W/B” on the I-94) cannot change to F1 status.
- J1/J2 visa holders who are subject to the two-year home country requirement (Section 212(e)) cannot change to F1 status in the US.
- Persons who hold C, D, K, or M status cannot change status to F1.
- Download and fill out the application form on http://www.ccbatlanta.edu
- Compile the following documents: copy of passport, copy of current visa, copy of I-94, & financial statement with minimum balance of $20,000 US Dollars
- If you have dependents (spouse and/or children), please submit the applicable dependent documents as well.
- Submit the completed application and above listed documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 678-349-2907 or drop off at 3545 Peachtree Industrial Blvd Suite 4 Duluth, GA 30096.
- Make payment of $1,960 USD by cash, check, debit card, credit card, or wire transfer (Fees include: non-refundable $350 application fee, $20 placement test fee, $1390 tuition, non-refundable $200 SEVIS I-901 fee) Full payment is due at the time of application.
- Schedule an appointment with the Admissions Director by calling 678-349-2902 to review your case. Once the Admissions Director has confirmed your acceptance to C.C.B., the I-20 will be issued and processed.
*Please be aware that although C.C.B. does issue the I-20 for change of status, we do not assist with the preparing of the I-539 or filing the petition with USCIS. Due to the complex nature of the change of status process, we strongly recommend that you consult a qualified immigration attorney for guidance. Referrals can be given upon request.*
C.C.B. School of Atlanta is authorized by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to issue I-20s (Certificates of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status).