What Does it Mean to be Called a Nut?

nutss.jpg

Have you ever heard of the “Nutty Professor?” Has anyone ever said you were nuts?

Calling someone a “nut” in English can be an insult. It means that person is crazy or acting in an insane manner.

But, just like the word “crazy,” there are times when it can be a good thing. For example: “I’m crazy in love with you” is probably a good thing.

Similarly, you could say “I’m nuts about you,” which means I like or love you A LOT.

Here are some example sentences in which “nut” or “nuts” may be an insult (a bad thing) or a way of saying someone is crazy or insane:

“Wow, your boss is totally nuts.”

“I can’t believe he said that. That is nuts!”

There are also variants of this word which have a similar, negative meaning:

“Don’t talk to him. He’s totally nutso.”

“Don’t ask her out to dinner. She’s a real nutjob.”

There are also phrases from go + nuts, such as:

“Be careful! Your roommate is going nuts.”

“I’m sorry but your boyfriend has gone completely nuts.”

The insult of “nuts” can be made a little less intense by changing it to “nutty.” This might mean the person is a little weird or different. Here’s an example:

“I like your brother, I really do. He’s just a little bit nutty.”

Lastly, let’s not forget there are times when being crazy for something is a good thing. Like being crazy for healthy food or exercise. We might say:

“Wow I didn’t know David was such a health food nut.”

“He’s really nuts about his new job.”

“Saul is a crazy good artist.” (“Crazy” here acts like an adverb, similar to “very”)

My high school Spanish teacher always called us his “bag of mixed nuts.” Mixed nuts are the nuts you buy from the supermarket and eat. He meant that in a nice way, as in we were crazy but he liked us.

Here are some other slang synonyms for nuts: wacko (adj/noun), psycho (adj/noun), loony (adj/noun), weirdo (noun), freak (noun), maniac (noun), messed up (adj), cray cray (adj)

Here are some images we found online when we typed “crazy nut”: